Search World On A String Designs

Thursday, April 4, 2024

March Sock Club

Well, March has come to an end, and I took my sock of the month right to the bitter end. I finished them up on Saturday night, March 30th.
Two-at-a-time toe-up sock knitting

This project was a two-at-a-time toe-up version. I wanted to get to use every last bit of that lovely gradient dye job. I am horribly slow at knitting two-at-a-time socks. Adding insult to injury, because I wanted to use all the color, these are darn-near knee-high socks. I typically knit about 6 inches of height onto my socks and then have oodles leftover from a skein. Knitting every last bit of this yarn meant a sock project that felt to me like it was taking forever.
Knitted socks rolled up to look like caked-up mini skeins


The pattern that I used for these was Laxo Socks, by designer Laura Nelkin. It uses a clever stitch that doesn't require use of a cable needle. One less thing to lose track of, I say! Although it felt as though I would never complete these, one benefit of knitting two-at-a-time socks is when one is done, both are done - no second sock syndrome! I do have to admit that it was very gratifying to finish these up at the same time. 


I do love the color gradient on these, and it wouldn't have seemed as balanced without the darker shades at each end of the socks. I also found the cable pattern to be very lovely. 

Despite my impatience and my slow knitting skills, I would classify this as an enjoyable combination of pattern and yarn. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that this brand of yarn is still available. This was a deep dive in the stash from about a decade ago, and it was produced by an indie dyer who it appears is no longer in business. My apologies for not having a link to share to find the yarn, but I am sure there are similar offerings out there, and perhaps you could find your next favorite indie dyer. Please comment if you have a favorite or a recommendation for a gradient sock yarn.

It took me all of 3 minutes after completing these to open up the next bag in my Solo Sock Club series, skein it up and cast on. I even forgot (AGAIN) to take pictures of the yarn in the hank before I wound it up. One day I will exhibit some temperance and self control and remember to snap some pics before impulsively casting on a new pair of socks. 

I have a post coming soon showing off the April Solo Sock Club yarn and pattern, so stay tuned!!


No comments:

Post a Comment